Weeks 21 and 22 (Graduation)---Recruit Fratto--

Week 21 – Not much to talk about regarding driving, other than it was awesome. I thought Firearms was great, and it is, but there is nothing like driving someone else’s car and having free reign to drive it like you stole it.

Here are a few things to take away from driving:

  1. Congratulations to Recruit Salentine for shattering a 28-academy driving record!
  2. “J” turns are unacceptable.
  3. The interceptors push in the corners, Recruit Bartlett.
  4.  Recruit Brennan – You can’t stop a car moving at 100 mph in 50 feet.
  5. Shuffle steering in not my cup of tea, but you have to do it.
  6. Recruit Mortensen, you have to take the corner, and not take out the ENTIRE row of cones.
  7. Recruit French, we are going to be cops, and you look like a limousine driver- and the cars do go faster than 20 mph 
  8. And lastly if you try to go for the record, you will screw up and hit multiple cones, not shuffle steer, and scream at yourself so loud that others hear you and think you’re crazy
Those are just a few things to take away from our week of driving. Needless to say it was the most enjoyable week of the academy, and the best week to have prior to graduation!

Now the week I really want to talk about……The FINAL week!

Monday - started off with a few classes on civil disputes, and the Law Enforcement Role in Terrorism. To be honest I am surprised that I retained a whole lot because the only thing I had on my mind was the P.O.S.T. test!

Tuesday- Today was the day most of us have be dreading/waiting for. We were all beyond prepared for this test, but still had the sick feeling in our stomachs because we knew no one in this academy has ever failed it, and we didn't want to be the first. To our relief, we kept the streak alive and everyone not only passed, but we had the highest class average ever for the Jeffco-Lakewood Academy.

After the test, we ran Lookout Mountain. Don't quote me on the numbers, but it was somewhere around 4.62 miles and went up about 2000+ feet in elevation. It is probably a harder run then it felt on this day, because all I cared about was passing that test, and getting to Thursday's graduation.

Thursday- The real day we have all been waiting for! Honestly for me it was all a blur, it happened so quickly, and I can't wait to get a copy of the video so I can really remember it. Director Baca told us prior to graduation that when your name was called for badge, you would go blank. Luckily the two things I remember were the most important things: What the sheriff told me when he handed me the badge, and when the sheriff had us sworn in. Everything else I am going to have to refer to the video when it's available.

So to make a final conclusion of the last 22 weeks:

Director Baca: You literally are the smartest man I've come across. I have learned so much in the short 22 weeks I had in the academy. I honestly don't know if I would have fully comprehended the criminal code, civil liability, or arrest search & seizure without your knowledge. Your humor in class was second to none, and after beating 2/3 of our academy class up Lookout Mountain, I now know why you're the only one alive in your academy picture!
Sergeant Greer: I want to thank you for making our class the best possible report writers, especially on account that that's what most of our peers will judge us on. I also want to apologize for my comment on alarm clocks not even being invented during your academy. You are only as old as you feel, sir! GO ORANGE!

Sergeant Beaulieu: I always thoroughly enjoyed your tips on life, and how to make it when we get to the streets. Except when I finally had the quote of the day, and then I'd forget it listening to one of your funny stories! I will miss what we as a class referred to as “Beaulieu Fridays.”

Deputy Hoffman: The only thing better than a “Beaulieu Friday” is a “Hoffman Thursday!” You are also probably the best dog training teacher I have ever met, and think I might recommend you to teach for every academy statewide! On a serious note, I want to thank you for teaching us to be the best shooters possible, and for having the best one-liners ever.

Agent Ruybal: Hmm, first off, Go Cowboys! That was totally worth the 20 burpees on the very first day. You were the instructor that ran the show, and was always the hardest on us, I appreciate all the life lessons that you taught our class. Whether you know it or not, you changed us all in a positive way. I have one regret from the academy, and that is that I didn't eat your buster bars!  P.S. I'm still pretty sure that email you sent to us was a pre-text or your wife wrote it, I know you're not that nice!

To Class 2015-1: The last 22 weeks have been the best 22 weeks of my life. I learned so much and came away with 43 new brothers and sisters that I know will all have my back when the going gets tough, and I will always have yours. I have learned and taken away a little bit of everyone in this academy, which I think will be vitally important to my career as a Deputy. We should all be proud of what we did as a class, but remember that this is only the beginning. We have to keep learning, and pushing to be the best we can throughout our careers.

Lastly I want to apologize for talking so much, and being so obvious. I recently turned 26, and think I have calmed down some! As I am writing this we are one week into the jail academy, and I am passing the reins of talking over to former recruit now DEPUTY Kilbon! I hope after the smoke clears, and training is over, I get a spot in Booking, so I can see you all again! Good luck with all of your new careers, stay safe and always watch each others backs.

No comments:

Post a Comment