Week 5 - Recruit Fratto

On Tuesday we went into our second set of Officer Survival. This week we talked a lot about how different stressers affect our lives, and our jobs. The Academy instructors do a good job of applying pressure, not because they want to see you crack and quit, but because they want to see that you can function, and do your job while being stressed. 

We had a funny story regarding a recruit having a bit of stress affect his life. A recruit left his house, and when he leaves to go to the academy he mutes his phone. He also had his mind on what is going on that day, and what he needs to study. Well his wife was drastically trying to get a hold of him because her car broke down, and needed his help. When she couldn't get a hold of him she had to walk a mile back to their house in the snow! Later that day when he found out this happened, he realized that the person he saw broke down this morning, and passed without helping, was his wife! Just for any wives reading this, he was punished, and sentenced to a few nights in the spare bedroom!  I will admit that the stressers are going down a bit from the beginning of the academy. Once you find your routine, and get into rhythm it gets easier.   Here is look at what my current schedule looks like:

4:45 – Wake up
4:50- 5:30 – Shower, shave, put bags in car and leave
6:00 – Arrive at the Academy
6:00-6:20 – Shave again (I get my 6am shadow) and get dressed
6:20-7:30 – Study, answer/write emails, and anything else class related
7:45 – 5:00 – Academy day
5:15- 5:45 – Drive home and study while I drive
6:00-7:00 – press uniforms, polish boot, make lunch
7:00-8:00 – Study
8:00-9:00 – family time
9:00- BED

Occasionally some things vary, as I like to throw workout in there, and a few other things, but that is my typical schedule. I really feel for the guys and girls who are married, and have children. I give them a ton of credit, and they have my full respect. I stated before that it has gotten easier now that I have my routine down, but soon enough there will be things added to that schedule. You can’t get complacent, you have to be flexible.  Every day is different, and you can’t expect to be doing the same thing day in and day out.  It is a small part of the reason why I wanted to join law enforcement. The challenge of every day being different really makes things exciting and fun for me. It's what makes this a career--something I wake up happy to do every day--and not just a job you go to every day for a paycheck.

On Wednesday I had the opportunity to be interviewed by the Denver Post for this Academy blog. It’s something I haven’t done in a long time since racing. It gave me the opportunity to share what we do at the Academy to a wide variety of people that might not have access to the Internet. It also gave me time to give credit to the other recruits on the commitment they've made to this profession. The only negative part was that as soon as I walked in the locker room, I was immediately called “Hollywood!”

At roll call Thursday we were again asked about geography. I was excited because over the weekend I made it a point to memorize all the streets west of Sheridan all the way to Zircon. Well if you have read my earlier posts, you know that Director Baca only asks me the questions I don’t know! He asks me a street south of Ellsworth, and I haven’t made it there yet. So of course I got that wrong! Never ever be happy with knowing  just enough! There is always more to know!


On Friday we had our 5th test, and we all passed! This week really flew by for me, but I was also really exhausted, and I think most of the other recruits are too. Time to keep pushing on into the next week. Five weeks down, 17 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment